By: Fr. Sal
I would like to begin by saying thank you to all who participated in the parish survey this past year. It is helpful to hear directly from so many of you, that we may “take the temperature” of the parish. I do believe the best way to operate the parish is both a “top down” and “bottom up” approach. While the staff and I are knowledgeable and “do this for a living” we cannot serve you well without your feedback. The results will inform and mold decisions that the staff, the commissions, and I make in the next few years. Your time and response do matter.
While it is not helpful to share all the raw data with the parish at large, I would like to draw a profile of who, those of us who took the survey, say we are:
- 90%: pray daily, allow our faith to guide our life choices, & go to mass 3-4 times a month
- 30% of us attend mass one other time per week or more.
- 40% of us have invited a guest to mass.
- 95%: say our spiritual needs are being met, believe their priests care about them, and feel called to grow as disciples.
- 85% of us feel that we have sufficient ways to be heard and have made friendships in the parish.
- Most of us are female (65%).
- Most of us are over 60 years old (68%).
- More than half (55%) have belonged to the parish for 10 years or more.
- A surprising 16% are not registered.
Already, some suggestions from the survey have been implemented or are being put in place. These things are: shorter announcements at the end of mass, forming a welcome / hospitality team, and creating a children’s choir.
Some of what we hope to do in the future is based off the survey as well. Those things include increased opportunities for devotions especially the rosary and Eucharistic adoration, more helping of the poor / homeless, increased opportunities for scripture study, and more activities for youth. If we do not get an associate pastor after Fr. Jeff leaves at the end of June, mass times will be affected, and the survey will also help in determining those changes.
While we will be consulting the survey on and off for the next few years, know that we also are working hard to put a strategic plan in place for the parish. This overall plan will include a: financial plan, buildings and grounds plan, and pastoral plan. This will be the “top down” to the survey’s “bottom up”. Thanks again for your participation and know that I am happy to meet or speak with any of you who have ideas/concerns/questions about our parish. God bless you!